We are excited that you are considering applying to be a member of our residence life team. The Resident Assistant position is considered to be one of the most important, influential, and rewarding leadership opportunities available to students.
Resident assistants (RA) are part-time undergraduate student staff members of Housing & Residence Life (HRL) and the University's Office of Campus Life. HRL believes that life in the residence halls provides students an important opportunity to complement their classroom learning experience. The RA fulfills a vital role in the residence hall system by helping students integrate learning experiences gained from both inside and outside of the classroom. The primary function of the RA is to facilitate interpersonal relationships and to create living situations that maximize the opportunities for students to learn and grow.
- One (1) residential semester at American University
- 60+ earned credit hours by the time employment contract starts
- Full-time undergraduate student
- Attendance at one information session
- 2.75 cumulative GPA, maintain 2.5 semester GPA while employed
- Good standing in conduct
Applications due Monday, October 23 at 12 p.m. noon.
The Resident Assistant position is a Federal Work Study eligible job.
- Attend a mandatory information session.
- Fill out online application, due Monday, October 23 at 12 p.m. noon.
- Participate in an individual interview.
- Monday, 10/16-Friday, 10/20: Information sessions
- Monday, 10/23 at 12 p.m.: Applications close
- Wednesday, 11/1: Interviews
- Wednesday, 11/15: Offers sent
- Monday, 10/16 at 8 p.m.
- McDowell Formal
- Tuesday, 10/17 at 5:30 p.m.
- Hughes Formal
- Wednesday, 10/18 at 1:30pm
- Hughes Formal
- Thursday, 10/19 at 7 p.m.
- Nebraska Formal
- Friday, 10/20 at 10:30 p.m.
- The Perch (Centennial Hall)
* Attendance at one information session is mandatory for consideration.